September 2020 Exam Results
The IFoA exam results have now been published and September 2020 was another very successful sitting for APR with 32 passes from 43 exam attempts. Congratulations to everyone for their hard work!
Below is a breakdown of our performance across each exam and summarised by exam category. We also show a like-for-like comparison between APR pass rates and the whole-of-industry ones. The exam categories (with both the new exam names and the pre-2019 names) are as follows:
- Core Principles – includes all CM, CS and CB exams (or all former CT exams).
- Core Practices – includes all CP exams (or all former CA exams).
- Specialist – includes all SP and SA exams (or all former ST and SA exams).
We comfortably outperformed the industry average within all three exam categories, as well as with our aggregate pass rate across all papers. We achieved the latter even though we took disproportionately more specialist exams which typically have lower pass rates than core exams.
In all three categories (as well as with the aggregate result), the margin of difference exceeded +20 percentage points. For eight of the thirteen individual papers, the margin exceeded +30 percentage points, and there were only three papers where we underperformed compared with the industry average. This was undoubtedly an excellent sitting, and the results are a testament to the hard work and capabilities of APR staff.
Congratulations to all those who passed exams! Below are some notable APR achievements from the September 2020 sitting:
- Troy Cruickshank passing both SP2 and SA2.
- John Nicholls passing both CP1 and CM2.
- A clean sweep for all five of our CP1 takers (John Nicholls, Ian MacFarlane, Imelda Barnes, Emma McDougall, Kate Gerhard).
- A clean sweep for all three of our SP2 takers (Troy Cruickshank, Michael Scanlon, Craig Lynch).